Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gee-Gee the Wonder Dog




I have a foster puppy. This is Gee-Gee. No I didn't name her and that name is silly, she sounds like a poodle.

Gee-Gee is always hungry. She is always ready play, my poor male dog is very tired of this. He has a 15 hour nap he's trying to get in today.

And I've not convinced her yet that one should not chew first and ask questions later.

I forgot how much work puppies were.

However, she's getting housebreaking quickly. She's getting barking too. She didn't bark when she first moved in, she figured that out fairly quickly.

LOL.

Tirz

3 comments:

  1. I agree what a silly name. We have often thought about being a foster parent to dogs/cats but I'm worried I'll grow too attached. Do you find that a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on the dog. Some you are happy to see go, others you are tempted to keep for yourself.

    I try to think of it as pet-sitting. I mean if you pet sit your brother's labrador would you cry when he went home?

    My only caution is to pick a rescue that lets you meet the adopting person or family. Occasionally, I've veto'd an adoption because they were a bad fit for the particular dog.

    I once had a beagle mix puppy that was dumb as she was pretty. At 7 months, she would still have accidents. Plus, she got hysterical in loud crowds. The family that wanted to adopt her had three kids under six. This was not a typical beagle, she was nervous, insecure and needed a quieter home with a person with dog experience and time to work with her.

    I said no and steered them to a different beagle. He was less pretty but had a much better personality for kids. Some rescues don't give the foster input on who adopts.

    Overall I like it. Most are really good dogs. Except a few accidents, a few nights with a barker in a crate, and at least one who needs medication.

    ReplyDelete