Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sick of Jesus


Luckily almost no one reads this blog so I don't have to worry about giving anyone a heart attack. But I'm sick of Religion, Jesus, and anything even remotely related to someone's 'spirituality'.

This time of year I'm bombarded by people who don't take no for answer. No, I don't want to go to your church. No, I don't want to pray with you. No, I won't give a dollar for Jesus.

I'm a little sick of Jesus.

The truth is most extremely religious people make my skin crawl.

Perhaps it's a leftover of my childhood where God was used as a battering ram to get the pious what they wanted or to punish the so-called 'undeserving'.

I believe in the freedom of religion.

I also believe in the freedom FROM religion.

If someone else tries to shame me, blame me, or drag me to another religious service, I'll scream. Don't judge my life by your standards

Worship who or whatever you want. Go to a church, sacrifice a chicken, light a candle. I don't care.

What I do care about is when your religion interferes in my life.

I don't want to be converted, prayed on, prayed for, condemned, or informed of your religious beliefs.

I could care less if you are a Baptist, Catholic, Buddhist, or a Voodoo priestess. I don't want to bow my head for you, bend knee for you, or give my money to you.

Religion can be hand up or a club the head.

But I'm not interested in either. I'm not a challenge. I'm not getting in your way. I just want to be left alone from your mis-guided help.

If praying helps, then pray. Quietly and to yourself.

But don't expect me to join you.

Don't warn me about my everlasting soul. I'm not sure if I believe in the soul. I'm thinking about it.

I'll think good thoughts for you.

I'll be your friend.

I'll read to you when your sick and bring you soup.

I'll rescue abandoned animals.

I'll volunteer my time.

But you should not take advantage of me.

You should not use my willingness to be of use as a platform to bludgeon me with your ideas, however well meant.

Feel free to announce your faith, feel free to worship as you see fit, but allow me the right to do as I see fit.

Without out your shaming disapproval.

I am not a bad person.

And even if I am a bad person, what's it to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment