Monday, August 29, 2011

PSE layered FILES, whining

Big Scream.

Did I hurt your ears?

I do design but only use Photoshop (PSE)only if I can't find another way to do it. ''

You aren't nuts if you don't enjoy PSE. Photoshop is not user-friendly or intuitive.

Let's be honest, it's a pain in the arse or we'd all use it. HAH.

I ask my customers what they need before I create files. I provide 300 DPI+ files in 6x9 with a 1/8 inch bleed margin. :) This is what they tell me they want.

I give it...then they come back with...wanting PSE Layered files.

BLAH.

Basically a Photoshop layered file is a zip file with each layer you created in Photoshop laid out so the people and/or publisher can take it apart and put it back together again if they want. This is really good if they want to screw with your font.

But I'm under the opinion that if you don't tell me up front, it's not my problem. But I think I'm getting cranky in my old age.

:)

I hate designing on Photoshop. Am I the only one?

If I provide a 300DPI file--why should it matter...it shouldn't except for the PSE Layered Files.

Blah!

Photoshop has cameltoe! I stand by this statement.

Anyway, I'm going nuts recreating my cover in the other file type. Don't you love doing something again, trying now to get the same effect in completely different program?

And all for my killer fee of $25 bucks. I could scream.

Or charge more.

LOL.

From now--if you want PSE layered files, they must be requested at the start and there WILL be an extra charge for them.

Okay I think I've whined enough.

Nope...one more.

WHINE.

Tirzah signing out.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes the learning curve with Adobe software is so steep, my neck hurts from looking at how high it is. :) Seriously, it can rain all over my day to find out after I thought someone at my day or freelance job wants something done one way that they've changed their minds in a way that means I have to do redo the project practically from scratch. I'd definitely charge extra if I were you. Heck, with your incredible skills, I think you should charge more than the original $25 a cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, Photoshop, I've yet to figure it out, it's one of those great mysteries. I've used Quark in the past and it's a snap, but Photoshop...I'm lucky if I can draw a line without messing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, never heard of it. But, maybe I want it... ;) just joking. I don't even know what I'd do with all those layers on except sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I can 90% of what PSE requires on other programs so I just don't use it much. But when they need layer files---they need to tell me upfront to do it.

    Tirz

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could do both - charge more and scream when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. T.
    Whenever I need to find reason to smile, I pop into your site! Whine all you want, girl, just keep creating. There is no reason why you can't do both at the same time. And I agree, with J.L. charge more - and scream when necessary.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete